In order to find new therapeutic and drug delivery systems for cancer treatment, we are working on the development of new nanoparticle systems that can be applied in the treatment of cancer. We focus on using polymeric materials and advanced polymeric architectures for tuning physiochemical properties to our advantage. Current projects include combined siRNA and chemotherapeutic delivery. This work is done in collaboration with Prof Dan Grandér and Assoc. Prof Theoharis Panaretakis at Oncology-Pathology Karolinska Institutet and Assoc. Prof Michael Malkoch at the Royal Institute of Technology.
Funding is provided via a collaboration grant from the Swedish Research Council – Medicine.
- Nyström AM, Fadeel B (2012) "Safety assessment of nanomaterials: Implications for nanomedicine". J Controlled Rel. [Epub 2012 25 Jan]. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2012.01.027
- Feliu N, Walter MV, Montañez MI, Kunzmann A, Hult A, Nyström A, Malkoch M, Fadeel B (2012) "Stability and biocompatibility of a library of polyester dendrimers in comparison to polyamidoamine dendrimers." Biomaterials 33(7):1970-81. [Epub 2011 Dec 15]. doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2011.11.054
- Wu Z, Zeng X, Zhang Y, Feliu N, Lundberg P, Fadeel B, Malkoch M, Nyström AM (2012) “Linear dendritic polymeric amphiphiles as carriers of doxorubicin – in vitro evaluation of biocompatibility and drug delivery”. J Pol Sci. Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 50:217-226. [Epub 2011 Oct 5]. DOI: 10.1002/pola.25008
- Lin LY, Lee NS, Zhu J, Nyström AM, Pochan DJ, Dorshow RB, Wooley KL. (2011) "Tuning core vs. shell dimensions to adjust the performance of nanoscopic containers for the loading and release of doxorubicin". J Controlled Release.152:37-48 [Epub 2011 Jan 15]. doi:10.1016/j.jconrel.2011.01.009
- Lundberg P, Walter MV, Montañez MI, Hult D, Hult A, Nyström AM, Malkoch M. (2011) "Linear dendritic polymeric amphiphiles with intrinsic biocompatibility: synthesis and charcterization to fabrication of micelles and honeycomb membranes." Polym Chem. 2:394-402. DOI 10.1039/COPY00258E Popular Science PDF
- Nyström AM, Wooley KL. (2008) “Construction of thermoresponsive SCKs through tuning the crystalline melting point of the core domain”. Soft Matter, 4:849-858.
- Sun G, Hagooly A, Xu J, Nyström AM, Li Z, Rossin R, Moore DA, Wooley KL, Welch MJ. (2008) “Facile, Efficient Approach to Accomplish Tunable Chemistries and Variable Biodistributions for Shell Crosslinked Nanoparticles (SCKs)”. Biomacromolecules 9:1997-2006.
- Nyström AM, Wooley KL. (2008) “Thiol-functionalized shell crosslinked knedel-like (SCK) nanoparticles: A versatile entry for their conjugation with biomacromolecules”. Tetrahedron 64:8543-8552.